A few nice beautiful kitchen design images I found:
old houses destroyed and in ruins by default
Image by Jose Angel Astor
old houses destroyed and in ruins by default
The Lost Streets of Bristol – Peter Street
Image by brizzle born and bred
Peter Street was a continuation of Mary-le-Port Street, running through to the end of Narrow Wine Street. The part from the Castle Street junction to Narrow Wine Street was known as Little Peter Street.
The cobbled Church Lane, which was along the side of Melhuish’s Hotel, was Bristol’s last medieval thoroughfare which had retained its original width. Only the News Theatre, Bear and Rugged Staff, part of Llewellins & James and the shell of St Peter’s Church remained after the blitz of 24 November 1940…Today, all that remains is the church shell.
This street was destroyed following the blitz on 24 November 1940 and now lies under modern day Castle Park.
Business listed in 1937
1 W. Barratt &Co. Ltd. – Boot and Shoe Manufacturer
This company also had premises at 3 Wine Street.
2-3 Bond & Son. – Hosiers
4-6 J. Melhuish Ltd.
7 C. Stuckey & Son Ltd. – Clothier
Upper floor: A. Horsley, Ladies’ and Gent’s Tailor.
8 H. Carey. – Tobacconist
Upper floor: Crantley Simmons, Gent’s hairdressers.
9 Verrechia & Sons. – Ice-Cream Manufacturer
As well as being a shop selling ice cream, the premises included a seating area where customers could eat ice cream sundaes, etc. This shop was very popular on those long hot summer days of years past, huge queues sometimes blocked the pavement. Verrechia a family run business also had premises in Brislington with a large fleet of ice-cream vans. And were one of the first to sell ice-cream in Bristol at East Street Bedminster.
10-11 Compton & Co. (Bristol) Ltd – Costumiers
These premises were occupied by Lloyds Bank (opened 8 April 1929) until September 1939 when it closed due to the outbreak of the Second World War.
13-14 Currys Ltd. – Cycle and Radio Retailer
Curry’s also sold camping equipment and toys, and had additional premises at 139 East Street. After the war they moved to one of the temporary single-storey shops in Lower Castle Street.
15 The Fox. – Public House
Landlord: R. Harris (previously Arthur Pollett and a Mr Lyons) Brewery: Georges Brewery.
The News Theatre – Cinema
(Proprietor: Jacey Cinemas Ltd) These premises were originally called the Queens Hall (with 500 seats), which opened in 1910. To accommodate the demand to see silent films it was converted to Bristol’s first purpose-built cinema in 1915 and renamed the Queens Picture House. By the 1930s the arrival of ‘talkies’ meant there was a need to modernise (this included new frontage of glass and chrome and a sliding roof for ventilation) based on the design of the architect W.H. Watkins (who also designed the Regent in Castle Street).
The refurbished premises opened on 26 December 1933, with the number of seats reduced to 385 and renamed The News Theatre. By 1940 the opening hours were midday to 9.30 p.m., programmes (two newsreels, a magazine feature and a cartoon) lasting approximately one hour, entrance fee 7d (3p) or 1s 2d (6p).
The premises were damaged in the blitz of 24 November 1940, but repairs were quickly made and reopened on 23 December 1940. The cinema eventually closed for business in 1956 and the building was demolished in 1959 – finally beaten by planners and television sets!
Until approximately 1938 this building was occupied by the fondly-remembered Lake’s Oyster Bar. Occupying these premises for at least twenty-five years, customers could stand at the counter (there were no seats) and eat cockles, mussels, whelks, etc. The owner kept a parrot in the shop, its perch being near the counter. In 1938 the premises were temporarily an amusement arcade.
22 Western Vintage Wine Co. – Wine and Spirit Merchants.
This company also had premises at Church Road, Redfield and New Station Road, Fishponds.
23 William Alfred Miller. – Boot Repairer
24 Knight & Co. – Gold Blocker and Badge Makers
This company is still in business today as Knights Rosettes & Badges Ltd on St Michael’s Hill.
Bear & Rugged Staff. – Public Home
Landlord: Howard Henry Herniman (previously it was a Mr Wakefield) Brewery: Georges Brewery The original building on this site was built in 1653, the cellar communicating with the dungeons of the old Bristol Castle, to which there was still access in the 1930s. On the night of the 24 November 1940 blitz the landlord, his wife (Nell) and three others spent the night in the cellar, the niece of the landlord (Margaret Edgeworth) spending most of the night in a beer barrel for protection! After the war Howard and Nell Herniman ran a fruit shop at the top of Christmas Steps. The pub survived the war and remained open until January 1968. It was demolished in October 1969.
25 Smart Milliners (Proprietor: Edward H. Drew Ltd)
Between these premises and St Peter’s Church was the side entrance to the Regent Cinema.
St Peter’s Church
Rector — Revd Eric Stephen Loveday, who lived at Limerick Road, Redland. By common consent this was the mother church of Bristol, first mentioned in 1 106. Towards the end of the fourteenth century, the original building was replaced by the one which exists today, or rather what is left of it. The church was closely connected with nearby Bristol Castle and when the latter was demolished in 1646 on the order of Oliver Cromwell, the church nearly suffered the same fate (due to its proximity to the castle it was considered, for military reasons, to be a source of danger) — the arrival of Prince Rupert with 2(1,000 men saved it from destruction.
The church contained many relics and memorials of its time – a Cromwellian suit of armour, carvings, brasses, a beautiful screen produced by Sir Harold Brakespeare, Georgian candelabra and spectacular stained-glass windows. There were two impressive tombs -one of Robert Aldworth and the other of the Newton family. The poet Richard Savage (who died in the nearby Newgate Goal) was buried in an unidentified grave in the churchyard.
The tower contained an impressive peal of eight bells, cast in 1729 by Abraham Rudhall. and one had the inscription, ‘I to the church the living call and to the grave do summon all’. In 1940 it had the oldest church bell in Bristol, which was sent to Canada following the blitz of 24 November 1940 as the building was severely damaged.
The rector at the time of the blitz was Reved Loveday (who will always be remembered by pre-war children for the impressive Christmas trees he put up) and he was appointed as the rector at St Martin-in-the-Fields in Trafalgar Square, London, on 14 January 1944.
The shell of the building still remains today in the middle of Castle Park, probably Bristol’s most poignant memorial of the last war and, in particular, the blitz of 24 November 1940.
26 A.F. Merriott Ltd – Wireless Dealers
J. Melhuish Ltd
Joshua Melhuish had a farm in Devon which in the 1870s suffered from a serious fire, so he moved to Bristol and set up a dairyman and confectioner business in premises at 81 Old Market Street. The business got into difficulties (Joshua was a bit of a lad and no doubt running a business was not his forte) and his son William, who was editor of the ‘Malvem Times’, left his job and moved to Bristol to help his father. In 1877 they acquired additional premises at 4-6 Peter Street, with William now running this business which involved the selling of confectionery, a cafe and hotel. In time, Joshua became a religious person, joining the Salvation Army – no doubt this was the reason why he owned a temperance hotel.
He felt sorry for the local factory and shop girls; in the winter months lie allowed them to bring their own sandwiches into the cafe to eat and they only needed to purchase a drink.
At 4—5 Peter Street the two buildings were occupied as shops selling ice cream (made on the premises to their own secret recipe), sweets (over 500 varieties), cakes and bread (with their own bakery on site), cooked meats, Devonshire clotted cream and other dairy produce. There was also a cafe and ice cream parlour with the large kitchen in the basement area. Many people still recall today the wonderful smell of the products on sale at these premises.
No.6 Peter Street was a hotel and restaurant; the hotel’s main customers were commercial travellers and it had approximately twenty-five bedrooms. The main entrance was in Peter Street, but there was another in Church Lane. Each of the hotel’s customers was provided with slippers and a hot water bottle for the period of their stay. The business had a reputation as a ‘home from home’, cheap but clean. The bedrooms of the hotel occupied the upper floors of Nos 4, 5 and 6 Peter Street. There were two restaurants on the ground floor – a smaller one at the front and a larger one behind (running parallel with Church Lane).
They were used by hotel residents and also open to the general public. The hotel’s kitchen was the same as that used by the cafe at 5 Peter Street. Outside the premises, on the corner of Peter Street and Church Lane, was a lady selling apples, believed to be Granny Keating who lived at 4 Upper Terrace. A newspaper seller could also be found outside the hotel.
All of the buildings were destroyed following the blitz on 24 November 1940 — the two managers lived at the premises but, fortunately, both were away that weekend. The business reopened on 13 February 1941 at 89-91 Stokes Croft as a sweet-shop and cafe, still run by a member of the Melhuish family and continued into the 1950s until its closure.
image attribution from @Herbert Frank Tarring collection
Image by thekitchendesigner.org